Re: [TowerTalk] Shireen Inc RFC400 Coax

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shireen Inc RFC400 Coax
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:43:08 -0700
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 00:55:26 -0400, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>> Does anyone have any experience with or know anything about Shireen
>> Inc RFC400 coax? According to the specs, it's supposed to be
>> equivalent to LMR-400.
>I know nothing of the company but it appears the coax line is new to
>them.

When evaluating any product or company, it's important to realize that
QUALITY CONTROL and manufacturing consistency are at least as
important as the formal specifications. There are also details of
construction that may be omitted from spec sheets -- what is the
dielectric, what is the jacket, what is the shield, what is the center
conductor, how consistent is the impedance, etc.

There are many was to cut corners. I've long worked in the pro audio
world. One "we do it cheaper" company with a big advertising and
marketing budget was famous for having splices in the middle of 1,000
ft spools of twisted pair cables.

This isn't meant as a negative comment on Shireen, rather to say that
the reputation of the company for these QC issues is important. The
Wireman, for example, probably doesn't make any of his own coax, but
rather has it made by mfrs to his specs (or buys it and relabels it).
But I've never heard anything negative about the cable he sells.

73,

Jim K9YC