Re: [TowerTalk] Carabiners

To: Larry Burke <wi5a@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carabiners
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:35:38 -0700
Larry Burke wrote:
> I'm not aware of any self-locking. Only locking and non-locking. The locking
> require the user to screw the locking sleeve mechanism into the mating
> threads. Depending on the use, the non-locking are perfectly acceptable for
> most tower work. Don't think I'd use them for rescue work, though. YCLMV
> (Your Comfort Level May Vary).
>
> - Larry

I haven't bought any 'biners in a decade or so, but they used to have
ones where the slot that the pin in the gate engaged with was L shaped.
  under load, the pin would drop into the L, preventing the gate from
opening.  Of course, if you took a really hard fall and permanently
deformed the metal, you couldn't ever open it.  Don't know if they still
make them.