Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Formula?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Formula?
From: "Jim Walker" <jim@walkersdomain.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 21:20:48 -0500
I would go out to the same guy point with all guy levels.  Its neater and
less work.  I'd go out 85% of the highest guy (39 feet x .85 = 33 feet) and
attach all guy levels to your guy anchors located 33 feet away from the
mast.

Then, to determine guy rope length the formula will be the height of the guy
point squared plus the distance away from the mast squared = the length of
the guy rope for that level, squared.  So if your first guy level is at 10
feet and the distance from the mast where your guy anchor is located is 33
feet away then:

A2 + B2 = C2  (where the 2 means squared)

(10x10) + (33x33) = C2
100 + 1089 = C2
1189 = C2
34.48 = C

So the first level of guys should be cut 34.5 feet plus an amount for
attaching the rope to the mast and guy anchor.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Jim
KBØX