[TowerTalk] Vertical plans

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical plans
From: "W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 09:15:36 -0500
Here is what I plan to do for an 80M vertical.  Please feel free to advise what
else I might do or to warn me what not to do.

I am going to Dallas TX in June for HamCom and while there I plan to visit
Texas Towers and purchase enough aluminum to build an 80M vertical.  I plan on
getting 4 each 12 foot pieces of tubing starting at 2" for the main radiator. I
also plan on getting 3 each 12 foot pieces of 3/8ths tubing for the top hat.
This will give me a 46.5' tall radiator with a six part 6 foot each top hat.
My plan is to cross drill the top section which will be 1.625" and space the
three sets of spokes about an inch apart as close to the top as I can drill. I
will use hose clamps to keep them in place. The base will be a set of insulated
clamps from DXEngineering to a plate attached to a 4X4 sunk in the ground.

I then plan to erect it over about a mile of ground mounted radials evenly
distributed in a circle in my yard (I love living out in the country) and
sticking my MFJ-259 on the feed to determine the amount of matching I will
need.  I assume I will need some inline L to bring it to resonance.  I realize
it will probably not cover the whole band but I will tune it for the center and
let the tuner in my radio widen the usable bandwidth.

Your comments please.

Clint - W5CPT