Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning...

To: cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning...
From: K2EK@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 20:18:20 EDT
I have a break in all coax and control cables about 8 feet from my service
entrance.
All go through ICE or Polypashser boxes which are mounted on a pair of 8 foot
ground
rods.  These rods connect via some #4 copper to the service entrance grounds.
The shack cables (60 feet) connect to the Polyphaser or ICE boxes via molex
connectors allowing
complete disconnect for rotator and relay lines.  Beverage lines and main
coax are
unscrewed from their respective suppressors.  The cable bundle to the shack
is buried save for the
last 15 feet.  I roll this up and keep it far removed from lightning central
when the radios are not in use.
I also bag operating and disconnect at the first rumble of thunder.

All power (120 / 240) and DSL lines get the ICE treatment in the shack.
These ground to another set of
8' rods and 500 feet of buried radials.  These connect to the service ground
via 50 feet of #6.
The tower protection consists of 6 8' rods.  Each pair is 8 and 20 feet from
each tower leg plus 5000 feet of bare copper radials.

A whole lot more than I ran in NY and I still worry.

73 de Bill
K2EK