Re: [TowerTalk] Any BN-86 Balun Replacement Suggestions?

To: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>, <ve3gsi@canada.com>, TowerTalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Any BN-86 Balun Replacement Suggestions?
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:56:52 -0700

> From: k0wa@swbell.net
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Any BN-86 Balun Replacement Suggestions?

> I have replaced the BN-86 with a 1:1 balun from Radio Works.  Worked OK.  I
> think it was rated at 4 KW.  Typical SWR curve after replacement.  Just used
> hose clamps to attach it to the boom.
>
> You could also use about 10 turns of RG-8 (or what ever type) in a 10"
> circle.  I have done that in the past too and works OK.

That is what I did for a replacement balun on the 6.2-30Mhz Log Periodic.  The
MFJ 259 manual shows a neat way to check for any unexpected series  (low
impedance) resonances in the hand wound coil, which can happen at certain
frequencies, if you need it to serve a very wide range.  I used a PVC form
about 8" and solenoid wound  the turns and slathered them heavily with GE
silicone seal to hold a good cylindrical shape.  Its still up, feeding the LP,
some 11 years later...

All the best,
Pat Barthelow    (916) 315-9271
aa6eg@hotmail.com