[TowerTalk] Grass and Critters in Traps

To: TowerTalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grass and Critters in Traps
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 11:53:44 -0700 (PDT)
It is surprising what critters will do to traps up in the air 70 or 80 feet.  I
agree, I have seen grass and critters in my TH7DXX traps over the years and the
SWR went to pot when it got wet.  Dried out...everything was find.  Holes were
down.  It is hard to stop critters.  I've even used mothballs to keep critters
out, but they do not last long.  I was going to put Tobasco in the traps too,
but took down the antenna at put up a Force12.

The scariest things I found in traps is wasps.  You are dangling up there at 70
feet and all of a sudden there are 100 wasp dive bombing you .... and you have
do place to go except down.  Not good.

I started carrying wasp spray and giving all the traps a good dose before I
started working with the elements.  Hard to do on the end traps.  They also
like to nest in the mast and come boiling out of there when you are on the
tower.

I learned how to come down the tower real fast.....

Scared me spitless.

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find
any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is
Common Sense divine?