Re: [TowerTalk] Heights Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heights Towers
From: <Robert_Redoutey@Dell.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:08:08 -0500
I posted directly to Bruce, but thought I would also post to the list.

I have had a terrible time with Heights Towers.

I had used a couple of towers from Universal over the years, and they
have been top notch.

I moved to a new location and was interested in Height's Tilt Over
option and decided to go that route, ordering the 72' plus the Tilt Over
section.

I received the "in ground" rebar section and steel screw rods in good
time. All went well. It took quite a while to get the tower itself. I
carefully assembled it, but noted that the sections seemed a little
"sloppy". They fit together a little too easy. But with 6 bolts in each
leg, I wasn't too concerned.

Instead of the usual tower, where the legs fit into each other, most of
my sections had a collar over the joints. The inside of the collar is
larger than the outside of the leg. Drake told me that he did not have
the correct material size for a tight fit, but felt that this should not
be an issue. Even before all the sections were assembled I raised the
tower, only to hear a loud "clang" every time the wind blew. He
suggested the bolts were loose, so I finished the tower assembly and
added a small tri-band beam (8 sf). The tower was "rated" at 25 sf. All
the bolts were checked with a torque wrench. The tower only became worse
when the wind blew, with the clanging heard 200 ft away.

He did come out one day and I gathered up some help, and the bottom 4
sections were replaced, but after a few months, it was still like a
piece of Jell-O, clanging in the wind.

After a number of polite emails and phone calls, the final answer was
"then just sue me".

Its been several years since this all happened. A neighboring ham helped
me put in some shims, and it's a little better. Still can't put on any
more antenna than I currently have, less than half its "rating".

He still has a picture of my tower on his web page, that was sent to him
as a "here is what the tower looks like, do you see a reason its
clanging"...instead he posted it on his web site without permission as a
selling point. (it was a nice picture)

I have heard from dozens of people, some happy with their Heights Tower,
many not happy (total losses) due to poor construction/welding.

I am sure some of his products are fine, but not mine.

Sorry so long,

Bob Redoutey
N5KF
Georgetown, TX