Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor bolts

To: "'Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist'" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor bolts
From: "Hank Lonberg" <kr7x1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:56:00 -0700
Rick:

Actually the concrete code specifies that for concrete cast
against and permanent exposed to earth; the minimum clear
cover is 3". For concrete cast in forms and subsequently
having exterior exposure; the minimum clear cover is 2".
Additionally, the clearances for walls, beams and slabs differ
depending on bar size and exposure, etc.

The reason is that concrete cracks and moisture can penetrate
and cause corrosion that will cause the rebar to expand and
spall the concrete and the structure will lose strength. The
anchor rods(bolts) protrude above the concrete surface and are
exposed to intermittent dry-damp cycles but not continuous
moisture exposure as if it were in the ground. This mitigates
somewhat the corrosion but does not eliminate it. It is also
visible for preventative maintenance.

Galvanizing provides longer service life with less
maintenance. In the long run if you had a lot of anchor bolts
in places that are difficult to see or even get to then
galvanized anchors is the way to go. It does add to the cost
of the anchor. This is a decision trade-off the owner of the
structure has to make. Either way the anchor will be
sufficient in load capacity if designed properly. It is a
matter of what your desired design life span for the structure
is, 15 years, 30 years, or whatever.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.
H.S. Lonberg, P.E.,S.E.