Re: [TowerTalk] Electrical Box Enclosure attached to ground rod?

To: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Electrical Box Enclosure attached to ground rod?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 00:09:06 -0400
Tony wrote:
> All,
>
> About to install ICE lightning arrestors on three coax runs as well as
> the rotator cable and could use some advise. I'd like to use a small
> electrical enclosure bolted directly to a 10 foot ground rod with 2 feet
> of the rod left above ground.
>
> It would be ideal to have the box grounded directly to the rod via
> mounting hardware, but I'm not sure if that's the best approach. Does
> anyone know of an enclosure made specifically for mounting onto a pole
> or ground rod?

I'd use one of the NEMA 3 or 4 enclosures and fasten the ground rod to
the internal plate which can be either Aluminum or Copper. (The ones for
the boxes are painted steel)
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm shows the grounding
of the cables at the bulkhead  in the photo on the left next to the
bottom. If you look carefully you can see one of the ground clamps
between the ground cable and bulkhead plate on the right hand side.
This is an out of date photo but conveys the idea.  Similar clamps could
be used on a ground rod, but I'd use something a bit more sturdy than
the ground rod to support the box. The particular box and the one that
replaces it are fastened directly to the end plate of floor. The
grounding cable goes out through the bottom of the box and curves out
away from the house. The first ground rod is about 2 to 2.5 feet from
the box. The cable is part of a 600 foot network that ties to 32 or 33
8' ground rods and the tower base. It also ties to the house electrical
ground.

Get a box a bit larger than you think you'll need or you may end up
replacing it with a larger one later on (like I did) In my case, one
still larger is going in.

73

Roger (K8RI)