[TowerTalk] Are my tower dreams in the toilet?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Are my tower dreams in the toilet?
From: Leif Ericksen <lericksen@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:47:18 -0500
As I am researching trying to get a tower up on my property I have found
that the Lake in the Hills, IL airport is expanding (argh).  I am not
sure if they are planning on adding runways or not.

I know the present runway is about 3800 feet, and I am about 1.41 miles
from the closet corner of the runway to my house (Google earth helped on
that) and WORST case if they build a new runway and do not take down any
homes I could be 0.80 miles from the closest corner but that would but
that would put the runway roughly touching residential street.

I guessing that because of the airport proximity (<5 miles) I would have
FAA notification to deal with.  Now would that mean that if I get a
crank-up I would need notification every time I decide to lower and
raise it?

Maybe it is time to move and find a ham that is leaving and does not
want their antenna farm turned into something stupid like a bunch of new
homes.  ;)

If I am out of luck because of the proximity of the airport how to I
convince the XYL that the house is defective because I can not have a
tower?  She loves the house and the neighborhood.  SO that might mean
that I would have to go with a roof top tower and the possibility of
tuning my gutters, and then deal with the RF exposure issues associated
with that.

How about that book "Antenna Zoning for the Radio Amateur" does it help
with airport proximity issues?

--
73 DE N9SRW
Leif Ericksen