[TowerTalk] 45G feedback

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 45G feedback
From: Joe Jaffer <gridsquare@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:38:42 -0400
After seeing Tower Talk posts about Hill Radio Communications I checked them
out on the Web http://www.hillradio.net/ and decided to give them a try since
their published prices were so much lower than Texas Towers who I had purchased
the Rohn guy wire, brackets, anchors, etc, for last year's tower.  I just
placed the order today for similar items, and I'm not in a rush, so as long as
I get what I paid for it will be a significant savings on the items and the
shipping.  Of course this is partially because I live a lot closer to IL than
TX, but the parts still are considerably cheaper.

Texas Towers was more helpful, professional, and better on the phone in my
experiences, but money talks and I was hoping to save a bundle this time around.

This next tower (82' 45G) will also go on a pier pin, this time with a PBC45G
pier pin base plate.  I like the idea of the base not being bolted tight or
sunk in the concrete so any torque or movement won't have the chance to
compromise the integrity of the tower legs.  It also eliminates my worries
about moisture on the inside of the tower from sinking a section in concrete,
whether it be from the ground or from the sky.

I'll be using GAC3455's for anchors and 1/4" EHS on both sets of guys.  Just
like last time I think the majority of the work and care will go into the guy
anchors.

It's pretty straightforward so I shouldn't have too many stories to tell, but
being my second year doing this type of project I'll be sure to share anything
I notice along the way; tips, tricks, and lessons learned.

Thanks to Steve and everyone who answered last years questions that seem stupid
in hindsight but needed to be answered.

Joe

N3PKC