Re: [TowerTalk] Two questions

To: "Towertalk " <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Two questions
From: "wa5zup" <wa5zup@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:15:38 -0600
I see that you got several responses on the conduit run question.  Going
with bigger conduit where good ones.

What I did not see was much on the second question, which is what I was
interested in seeing what came back, for my own information on what I am
doing.

I can also recommend Online Metals. I have used them several times. They are
not exactly cheap.  But everything on their site they have, they will cut it
to any size you want, and it ships out usually the next day.

A 24' x 36" 12 gauge panel from OnLine Metals is $492(13 gauge). Copper
strap, such as what Polyphaser sells, is 26 gauge I think. A 24" x 36" 24
gauge sheet from OnLine is $104.  A big difference in price!  You would, of
course have to use some sort of backer board material with the thinner
copper.

I guess I just do not see why a aluminum panel, for mounting lightning
arrestors to, would not suffice.  Would copper be better--sure.  But it is
cost versus return. Copper to aluminum connections are done all the time in
the electrical industry.  That is what Noalox compound is made for.

I would like to see someone else's input on that.

John
Wa5zup