Re: [TowerTalk] Noise from eolic field

To: Fabio Grisafi <fabio.grisafi@libero.it>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Noise from eolic field
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:01:09 -0400
Fabio Grisafi wrote:
> A big european company is building an eolic field with 49 tower/generators
> near my contest QTH (about 2000 feet in north direction- total power: several
> dozens of MW).

It bothers me a bit to be using Ancient Greek terms to describe a modern
"wind farm", however I doubt these are what we think of as generators,
but are probably 3-phase brushless generators/alternators.
> Each tower is about 200-250 feet high with the rotors in top of each tower.
>
> Low Voltage generators (I think 380 Volts) are connected with buried cables
> to Low Voltage/High Voltage transformers that are located far from my QTH and
> they are not
> in visibility to my antennas due to a little peak of the mountain.
>
> QUESTION IS: do I have to wait for an high amount of noise in the HF/VHF
> region?
>
> What kind of noise?

"My guess" would be they should be no more noisy than a power line, but
that depends on how they couple the power from the source to the cables
coming down the poles to allow for unlimited directional rotation.  It v
may also depend on how well the system is maintained.

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)