Re: [TowerTalk] excavator

To: Its from Onion <aredandgold@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] excavator
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:19:04 -0700

Its from Onion wrote:

> For the life of me cannot see why ham folks love square holes, much easer to
> dig round
> ones.

What makes you think it is discretionary for the average ham?

1.  Backhoes generally dig square holes.  An auger large enough to dig a
large hole is going to be much larger and more expensive than a backhoe.

2.  Rebar cages are easier to build square.  Admittedly a minor point,
but one I'm sure that influences typical engineering practice.

3.  Engineering drawings from the tower manufacturer almost always call
out square holes.  A building inspector would very likely disapprove a
deviation from square to round.  Yes, you can hire an engineer to
generate new drawings for a round hole, but ...

73,
Dave   AB7E