Re: [TowerTalk] Fatal bandwidth: 6 cell tower deaths in 5 weeks

To: Tom Osborne <w7why@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fatal bandwidth: 6 cell tower deaths in 5 weeks
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 00:24:03 -0400
Tom Osborne wrote:
> Hi Eric
>
> Kinda sad reading, but just makes a guy wonder--how many of these guys were
> really trained in tower climbing.  There's a lot more to climbing a tower
> than just strapping on a belt and heading up.  73

And the reports are pretty much useless. There was only one that gave a
reason, or description as to what happened.
Even then it was incomplete.  Bouncing on a line caused a carabiner to
disengage?  Mine latch and have to be both twisted and pulled to open.
If the line were attached at the top with one I'd either have to leave
it there of go back up to get it.  It sounds more line the end of the
line was just hooked over something like much like a tag line, but even
my tag lines require you squeeze in and then push to disengage.  Overall
my safety equipment takes more effort on a climb than does the actual climb.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)