Re: [TowerTalk] my long lightning story (was RE: lightning strike)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] my long lightning story (was RE: lightning strike)
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 16:35:06 -0500
That was an interesting story Dick. Thanks. K8RI suggested maybe induced
currents from the strike, but it seems to me that you had more damage
than what usually happens from that.  Here is one more possibility.  I
have had this one happen to me.  When a strike happens very close, there
is also the possibility of a secondary finger splitting off from the
main stroke path and hitting other things close by.   In my case one of
those secondary fingers hit my chimney which has a metal casing.  It
traveled down that metal casing until it got to some AC wiring that was
run in the wall just behind the casing.  At this point the lightning is
on the AC wiring inside the house trying to find a way to a ground.
This effectively bypasses all lightning protection devices, and a lot of
damage happens even though it is small compared to the main stroke
path.  Its easy to overlook these small paths when the big path is so
obvious.

Jerry, K4SAV