Re: [TowerTalk] 80Meter Coverage

To: ac9s@mchsi.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80Meter Coverage
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:34:12 -0700
At 12:53 PM 2008-07-02, Keith ac9s@mchsi.com wrote:
>I am thinking of running two commonly fed inverted Vs, cut for CW and SSB to
>get coverage across the full 80 meter band.  I should be able to
>space them at
>right angles.  Has anyone tried this and if so, what were the results?

With orthogonal inverted Vees, there is still some coupling between
the two because of the vertically polarized components.  Even so,
it's not hard to tune them for less then 2:1 SWR over the entire 80m band.

An EZNEC model, with the apex at 50 feet and ends at 20 and 15 feet
made of #12 wire, does this with leg lengths of 60.4 and 66.65 feet
respectively.  Mininum SWR at 3.575 and 3.89 MHz (<1.2:1).  SWR 2:1
at 3.5, 3.725 and 4.0 MHz.

The pattern at 20 degree elevation is omni within +/- 1 dB or
less.  As you'd expect, there is a little more gain broadside to the
short inverted V at the high end of the band and vice versa.

73, Terry N6RY