Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] 7 wire rotator cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] 7 wire rotator cable
From: "Dick Williams" <k8ztt@mho.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:49:31 -0600
Jack,

That 7 wire cable will work with any of the Ham M series, Tailtwister, etc.
rotors.  You really only need 6 wires in the first place (though 8 is
better).

The "trick" is to mount the phasing capacitor that is in the control box at
the rotor (which is where it should be anyway, and the far majority of hams
with any length of rotor cable run do this).   I have five Tailtwisters/Ham
IV's with runs of up to 450 or so feet and have the capacitors mounted on
the tower by the rotors.   This "trick"  frees up two wires going to the
control box (lugs 4 & 8).

Doing this has two advantages:  first, it mounts the phasing capacitor right
at the motor where it will work the best; and second you can then run double
wires to the motor itself and cut the voltage drop considerable (use the
wires originally going to 4 and 8  in parallel with the wires going to 5 and
6).

So, if your rotor run isn't too long just use 6 wires and for go paralleling
two more with the wires going to 5 and 6.  At least you will get the
additional torque by having the capacitor at the rotor.

Dick  K8ZTT