Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Clamps

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>, Alan NV8A <nv8a@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Clamps
From: Mark Spencer <mspencer12345@yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 16:19:24 -0700 (PDT)
Interesting thread which brings to mind a question:

The last time I looked at the bronze clamps (purchased at Home depot)
connecting my copper ground wire to my roof mounted galvanized steel antenna
masts I noticed some minor discolouration and a white powdered material at the
junctions between the copper wire and the bronze clamp and the bronze clamp and
the galvanized steel mast.   The copper is not in direct contact with the
galvanized steel.

I have put a clamp on ammeter on the ground wire and can't measure any current
flowing thru the ground wire (I did not expect to see any, but I thought that
if current was flowing thru the ground wire this might have explained what I
was seeing.   As the ground wire is ultimatley tied into the electrical service
ground and the some of the masts are connected via antenna mounts to coax
shields that run back to radios in the shack I felt there was small possibility
of current flowing thru the ground system.)

Given that the masts are roof mounted they are probably more exposed to the
elements than clamps at ground level on a typical tower would be.  I'm not
really worried about this but I did not expect to see visible corrision (if
that is in fact what I am seeing ?) when using bronze clamps.    The next time
I'm visiting comerical radio sites thru work I'll take a closer look at the
ground clamps and see if notice any thing similar but I don't recall seeing
this before.

Any comments would be welcome.