Re: [TowerTalk] What is....

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What is....
From: Alan NV8A <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:49:31 -0400
On 07/10/08 01:54 pm WA6RKN wrote:

> ....the reason for........?
>
> For the way towers are mounted...I notice some towers have a single point at
> the base, (They taper down to a small point that is the mount) while others
> are standard triangle or 4 legged mounts.  All are guyed.

I think you may find that the ones that taper down to a point are
resting on a ball or other flexible mount that enables the tower to sway
a little without breaking off.

This answer is based on my recollection (from 50 years ago!) that the
750ft Sutton Coldfield TV tower in the UK Midlands rested on a 2in.
steel ball.

73

Alan NV8A