Re: [TowerTalk] Tower regulatory climate in Fort Collins - Loveland, CO

To: John Becker <johnb3030@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower regulatory climate in Fort Collins - Loveland, CO area
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:58:49 -0400
John Becker wrote:
> I'm starting to look into possible relocation to this area. Can anyone
> tell me how easy or difficult it is to find a place to live where I can
> put up a 70' tower? Thanks!

As others have said, "It may take a lot of research".  Amateur Friendly
Areas  are just that, areas and regulations can vary widely from one
side of the road to the next.
Here, near Midland MI, in *this* township* we have setback rules and you
can go to 100'  without a permit. It was 80 feet when I put mine up.
Two miles to the west they have *no* restrictions, or regulations on ham
towers. There's nothing even pertaining to safety.  The township to the
NE of me is not anti-ham, but due to a quirk in regulations  heights are
severely limited. OTOH one ham in a very upscale  subdivision  in that
township discretely approached the board and received the go-ahead for a
70' crank-up with a rather large multi-band antenna.  Of course in
addition to the regulations you have the neighbors as well.  Even if
it's permitted a couple of disagreeable neighbors can make things
difficult. I have one who just doesn't like ugly antennas, but has
created no problems (OTOH I don't complain about the kids riding loud 4
wheelers at times and my cat keeps his rodent population in check).
Another was worried about lightning. Then one day he happened to be
looking right at the tower when it took a direct hit.  He asked me how
much damage I had, which was none.  Since then he thinks of it as "the
neighborhood lightning rod" <:-))

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)