Re: [TowerTalk] Paintg Traps-Coax issues-Respon fr DAVIS RF Co.

To: "wa5zup" <wa5zup@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Paintg Traps-Coax issues-Respon fr DAVIS RF Co.
From: "Steve Davis -Davis RF Co." <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:59:26 -0400
    This also reflects on Jack Brindle's astute comment

Hi John,    The min bend radius of Bury-Flex Tm is 2 inches.  I have sent
you a copy of the full spec via separate email.   Just to avoid any possible
confusion by readers coming in at this point, the trap with  coax winding
question had to do with RG-213. .  Well made RG-213's also have a 2 " bend
radius; however,
an often missed point, albeit not often a consideration, is the "repeat bend
radius" spec.  In the case of this trap winding, now that I was reminded by
Jack Brindle that this is a 4" OD Sched 40, the repeat aspect of  this trap
winding could be an issue.  I think the safest way to approach this is to
contact the mfr. or distributor of the particular RG-213 involved (not
mentioned in this matter) and find out the repeat bend radius, and at what
number of
repeats does the issue start an adverse indication.  In my first response I
somewhat qualified my remarks based on not having seen the actual
configuration of this trap, so I really can't opine much further than
already, thus leaving some of this subject to further specifics of the
application.
  If the spec'd repeat wind radius is marginal, wind the trap and test it to
be sure.  My experience  tells me though that characteristics of an RG-213
build will be somewhere in the 3-4 times the min. bend radius to come up
with the prox. repeat bend radius, thus that would be 6-8" min repeat bend
radius, unacceptable for a 4" OD winding core.
   Also Jack's comment about internal heat:  yes, ties to temp. rise of coax
line: related to freqcy, power, ambient temp  and attenuation.
  Bottom line, objectively it is hard to quickly surmise; however, I think
that at this point of the various opinions, 4" PVC is not a good route,
unless the source of this design (?) has done it with properly tested
results.  That maybe is the next place to look before condemning this, but I
will have to leave it at that.  And, given that lightning is now approaching
here.  HI      Cheers, Steve