[TowerTalk] 1942 aircraft radio question

To: "YCCC" <yccc@yccc.org>, "reflector cq-contest" <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>, <antennas@qth.net>, "reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 1942 aircraft radio question
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:09:44 +0000
Got this from a local kid who has visited here... anyone have an idea of
what it is off of?

<quote>
I have a question for you.  While walking around the site of the 1942
plane crash near Garnet Peak on the south end of town, someone picked up
an oval shaped tag, put it in some solvent, and found that it read
"THRES SENS" on one side and "LOOP GAIN" on the other.  I would assume
this would be off some part of the plane's radio.  Do you have any idea
what "THRES SENS" means or can you confirm it could be off the radio?
<quote>

from the web page: http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/1942_1.html
I can give you the usaaf serial numbers:

42-6455/6504            Douglas C-53-DO
                                c/n 4907/4956
        6463 (c/n 4915) crashed Oct 10, 1942 east of Garnet Peak, Peru, MA.

And it was big news at the time:
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00D11F63A58167B93C5A81783D8
5F468485F9

David Robbins K1TTT