Re: [TowerTalk] Johnson Matchbox coil

To: w7why@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Johnson Matchbox coil
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:09:15 -0400 (EDT)
   Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 08:57:31 -0700
   From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>

   Hi TT'ians

   I have a 275 watt Matchbox antenna tuner that is in really nice shape, with
   a blown bandswitch.  I purchased another 'junker' from a guy, and really,
   the only thing wrong with it is the plastic on the coil has disintegrated
   and it is kinda dirty.  It looks like it could be repaired by making some
   plastic spacers of some sort.

   What would be the best way to reinforce the turns in the coil?  I was
   wondering about super-glue.  Will it hold up in an RF environment?

   Other than the coil being sprung, it isn't in too bad of shape.  I'd kinda
   like to repair it instead of taking the switch out and putting it in the
   'pretty' one.

I have seen, on the web somewhere I think, information on making your
own air-wound coils that would be usefull to you.
IIRC, the process was to use plastic strips, making saw kerfs at the
right spacing and use the proper solvent for the plastic, with plastic
scraps dissolved in it, to close the kerfs.

73, doug