Re: [TowerTalk] mast material

To: bill rubin <brubin2010@gmail.com>, <k1xx@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mast material
From: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 16:23:50 +0000
Given that the Stress Factor ..."S"... is a major component of the equation,
how does
one determine the "S" factor, considering that the material in question could
have been
made in Pittsburgh, China or Bangaladesh ??

73, Dick, W1KSZ

> Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:16:44 -0500> From: brubin2010@gmail.com> To:
> k1xx@cfl.rr.com> CC: jperalta4@verizon.net; jruing@ameritech.net;
> k3cc@verizon.net; K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net; towertalk@contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mast material> > DO THE MATH FIRST !! YOU WILL SEE
> THAT FENCE POST IS NOT SUFFICIENT.> > http://www.math.niu.edu/KARC/mast/> > >
> Bill N1HWC> > > On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 10:45 AM, <k1xx@cfl.rr.com> wrote:> >
> > Julio:> > I don't totally agree with all your statements regarding top
> rails. I've> > used them very successfully in the past. Since this goes back
> a few years,> > my memories a bit fuzzy. But, I seem to recall that there
> might be a heavy> > duty top rail which is "just slightly" under 2 inch OD
> and not much smaller> > as you mentioned. I'd have to go out back and measure
> one to determine the> > actual size.> >> > In several cases, I used 12'ish
> foot lengths for yagis mounted at the top> > of the tower with the rotor
> recessed 10 foot into the
 tower. In one case, I> > had a full 20 foot length with a custom-turned insert
placed down into the> > top rail. This one had a big 6 element 10 meter beam on
a 3" boom at the> > very top (10 foot out of the tower). I can't count how many
ice and snow> > storms that combo survived.> >> > If any mast material's
overloaded, it will bend. Doing the analysis is the> > first best step.> >> >