Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys for FD towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys for FD towers
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 01:03:54 +0000
My first question would be the diameter of the guy ropes.  Nylon is rather
stretchy in smaller diameters, which is generally not good for towers.  If
it was 3/8" or bigger and not springy when you pulled it tight and no one
had to climb the tower it would probably be ok.  Manila rope is generally
not as stretchy, but also not as strong as nylon.  You have to be sure it is
stored properly between uses or it will degrade rapidly.  Again 3/8" or
bigger would be ok.  A better rope is polyester, the type typically sold as
antenna rope in either 3/8" or 1/2" will keep a tower up nicely, doesn't
have the stretch of nylon, and is much more forgiving of bad handling and
storage than manila.

The other question is how long the pipe anchors are.  I like 4', and drive
them in 3' of that at about a 45 degree angle slanted away from the tower...
and if the soil is soft then drive a second one 3' behind that and tie the
top of the first one to the bottom of the second one for extra holding
power... see an old boy scout handbook for details.

You would never want to use 1/4" ehs and tighten it to spec, you would pull
out the anchor stakes every time.  one improvement might be aircraft cable,
but still pull it hand tight, don't try to use turn buckles or comealongs to
tighten it up or you'll pull out the stakes.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net