[TowerTalk] Tower Cable Query

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Cable Query
From: FOC1652@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 23:59:13 EDT
After a very slow and methodical assembly, the new MonstIR is  at the
top of my 72 foot, Tristao, free-standing, motorized crank up,  tower.
So far everything appears to be working according to  specifications.
I went with the direct mount Tilt-Plate, (# 002), and the  Orion
rotor, with a Green Heron controller.

The only glitch, and it is  a fairly serious one, occurred as I was
extending the tower to its full  height. Just as the tower extended to
its maximum height, I heard a loud pop  and saw gear oil coming from
the end of the motorized cable windlass gearbox.  It appears that one
of the worm gear shaft bearings was destroyed and I am  now looking at
a very difficult and delicate procedure to repair it, if  possible.
The problem being, I have to maintain the tower at its fully  extended
height, secure the cable sustaining all of the vertical load  weight
so I can unspool the balance of the cable off the windlass and  remove
the entire gear box and unit for examination and possible  repair.

Somehow I need to take the load off of the windlass and secure it  to
another snatch point so I can effect the repair. I think a very
stout  "come along" will handle the load, but I need some advice on
how to grasp the  very taut cable in such a manner that whatever I use
won't slip or slide on  the cable, but won't weaken or degrade it
either. There must be some sort of  device that I can find that will
do the trick. I will make a proper, stout  anchor and secure it to the
base bolts and use the come along to hold the  load. The only other
viable, but very expensive option, I can think of, is to  hire a big
boom bucket truck to come out so I can block each tower section so  it
won't move south and take the pressure off of the cable. Right now  it
seems I cannot even hand turn the gear box, so it is a serious
problem.  I want to think this through carefully. The antenna is up so
I don't have to  bring anything down in a hurry, but I do want to
effect the repair, safely  and successfully.

The tilt plate was a dream, but getting the proper  angle set, was a
trial and error process that necessitated cranking and  tilting the
tower over three times. I am glad for the help of my big  brother,
Chuck, W6AJW, and great friend, Bill, K6DUY.

I still have  lots to learn about the MonstIR, but I worked a SM5 on
40 meters the other  night with 50 W, so it does work.

Sorry for the bandwidth, and though  this is slightly off topic, I
would appreciate some sage, (kind), advice from  the
assembled multitude.

VY 73, Tommy,  W6IJ

Read reviews on AOL Autos.
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017