Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Exterior Ethernet Cable

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Exterior Ethernet Cable
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:49:02 -0400
Pete Smith wrote:
> At 10:52 AM 8/11/2008, Jim Brown wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 07:01:46 -0500, Matt Patterson wrote:
>>

>>> They also make shielded RJ-45 connectors if you are thinking of going
>>> with the shielded outdoor gel filled CAT5E.
>>>
>> I wouldn't throw money at shielded cable of any CAT-number. The primary
>> interference rejecting property of that cable is the very high and very
>> uniform twist ratio, and the primary RFI mechanism at HF is common mode
>> current. Shielding won't help that much. Common mode chokes will. See
>> http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
>>

> Actually, I was looking at the shields for chipmunk resistance, not RFI.  I
> agree, I have seen no evidence of RFI on my existing cable, just toothmarks.

I doubt the shielding would slow them down any, but they don't like the
goo used for flooding so that might help.
I never had problems with critters until two years ago the snow was
almost up to the junction box on the tower.  The little critters chewed
right through my TV coax. no problems since I replaced it with the
flooded RG-6.  I'd expect similar results with flooded CAT5 or 8. (but
no guarantees)

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)