Re: [TowerTalk] Installing HG52SS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing HG52SS
From: chasm@texas.net
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:43:24 -0500
Bert, I would NOT skimp from the HG suggested foundation.
in fact, I wonder what sort of cage or T plate you are going to use to
  install into only an 8cuft pc of concrete in "sandy soil"  Makes my
skin crawl.   That tower is the same as the one lying in my backyard
waiting for me to replace the crank up cables, winch, etc and so on.

the HG52SS is only good for about 9sqft of antenna load and even then,
it is only good for 50mph.  you do the math for Kph.  if I were to
guy, I would attach a guy plate to the top of the tower and hang
philly strand off of it for three at 120* anchors set in three ft of
concrete made of 1/4" wall x 5"d x 6ft pipe with ears welded to each
for attachment of guys.  I would then run it up almost to the top and
then tension the guys in all three directions so that the most amount
of wind effect would be resisted by the guys at that height.
don't forget rotational or torquing wind effect on a well braked
antenna array.

again - put in the full foundation. then guy off the top plate so that
as you lower it, you reduce the tension on the guys.  check
periodically that you do have good tension on the guys.  Perhaps get
the slack out by dropping it 6" then tighten all around evenly then
crank up the remaining 4-6".  all of that is common sense based upon
no actual history or experience.  It is just how I plan to put mine up
but again, all I plan to hang on mine are outriggers for dipoles and a
TA-33 with a couple of VHF/UHF yagis or verticals.

good luck but do dig the full hole. and maybe deeper and bigger for
sandy soil.  mine is black clay here in Houston, TX.  so, the
suggested foundation should be quite sufficient.  I will guy because I
hate to have to lower the tower every week when a typical gulf storm
comes thru.  now, if it is a Dolly or an Edouard, I would lower it.

still looking for that T plate for the ears without the foundation
iron.  so, help?

73 de chas  k5dam