Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Heights Towers Aluminum??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Heights Towers Aluminum??
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:41:40 -0700
I'm no metallurgical expert, but I have always heard about the need to
heat treat aluminum welds when strength or reliability are issues.  My
background is in semiconductors and even evaporated aluminum layers on
silicon are heat treated after deposition to relieve stresses.

A bit of internet sleuthing, including at the Aluminum Association web
page (www.aluminum.org), reveals that aluminum alloys only provide (or
recover) their rated strength through proper heat treating ... without
it they are not much stronger than generic aluminum.  In addition,
aluminum welds are said to be subject to greater shrinkage during
cooling (compared with steel welds) and also hydrogen embrittlement if
the atmosphere is not well controlled.  Even the self-proclaimed "bible"
of aluminum welding published by the Aluminum Association includes
information on post-weld heat treating to address the above issues.

_Welding Aluminum: Theory and Practice_
http://www.aluminum.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=18518

The problem with brittle welds is that they don't conform well to any
semi-linear strength predictions such as you might find on a
stress/strain graph.  A brittle weld is likely to fail catastrophically
in a very non-linear fashion and without warning.

The Aluminum Association book, by the way, also discusses the need to
properly design the joint to be welded if optimum strength is to be
achieved.  I suspect that lapping a Z-brace to a tube is not what they
had in mind.

73,
Dave   AB7E