Re: [TowerTalk] Screwdriver driver antenna

To: richard@karlquist.com, Michael Dinkelman <mwdink@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Screwdriver driver antenna
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:39:41 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
When I had a screwdriver antenna on my car, I found that having a cross needle
meter inline made life MUCH easier.  Makes it much easier to tune up, because
it's obvious when the rig is folding back, and you can just keep the motor
moving until it stops folding back.

(Obviously, I trust the rig's foldback protection to limit the voltage/current
in the final amp)

On the other hand, my rig (an FT-757GX at the time) didn't have an internal
tuner.  I'm not sure how it would work.. I can see the autotuner would keep
trying to readjust as the screwdriver comes closer to resonance.  Now.. if you
had a "go to point A for Band X" sort of controller to get the screwdriver
"close" and just use the tuner to basically do the fine adjust, then that would
work ok.

I actually tried that, using a AT-100.... it was actually fairly decent,
because I could "band switch" the screwdriver by eye (it was mounted on the
front bumper, and I had tape at the positions for the various bands), and then
let the tuner autotune when I keyed up. All without having to take your eyes
off the road, etc.

However, I eventually went to a multiband whip and a SGC tuner at the base.  If
I could only find the time to put together a bandswitch/remote control
interface from the I-bus to the radio, so I can use the buttons on the steering
wheel to control the radio.  Either that, or voice recognition (which I think
would be a better long term solution... "radio, 20 meters, preset 1"  "radio,
volume up", "radio, one four dot one five zero"  Works in any car, etc.

Same thing for a phased array or rotator on a tower: "antenna, europe"  (or, if
you have W6AM's farm.. "antenna, South London", <grin>)