Re: [TowerTalk] Prelube 6 on the tower legs of US Tower crank up

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kc2pih@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prelube 6 on the tower legs of US Tower crank up
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:31:41 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/2008 3:14:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I had dug through the refelector archives. To recap, it  seemed US
Tower has recently recommended that beeswax could be used to  lubricate
the tower legs to help them slide better. That sounds good to  me
because I don't want a goopy mess on the tower legs.

>   But I bought the prelube 6 for the cable I am installing and tried
some  out. Geesh, it seems this stuff might also been ideal on the
tower legs  too? I like the idea of keeping that area where the
galvanized finish is  scraped off protected with something. Anyone
using prelube6 this  way?

    UST used to use a thick grease and now they use  beeswax on the legs so
that the sections will slide easily while it's  horizontal on sawhorses during
assembly. It wears off rather quickly once  it's installed and run up and down
a couple of times.

    The forces will tend to be on one or two legs  where the pulleys and
cables are and will be metal-to-metal contact so  applying anything there will
get
scraped off in short order.

    PreLube 6 is a light-weight lubricant designed to  soak into the strands
of wire rope without leaving a sticky film on the  outside of the cable so
while applying it to your tower legs is  relatively easy, it'll disappear
quickly
without having any long-term benefits  to your tower. Is applying it helpful?
Sort of. Is it worth the effort? Sort  of.

    Since attempting to apply beeswax or other  lubricant to the legs is
problematic since the tower has to be extended in  order to reach the places
that
need to be lubricated, it is NOT recommended.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH
UST Factory authorized installer