Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Choice

To: "Mike" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Choice
From: "W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:30:54 -0500
Theoretically all the elements interact somewhat at all frequencies.  However
the effect of the smaller elements on the lower frequencies and the inverse of
that, being the largest elements on the higher frequencies is minimal.

My T-6, 6 elements on a 12 foot boom compares favorably with a Tri-bander with
an equal boom length.  What I lose in not having 3 full dedicated elements
tuned to the band of interest, I make up in no trap loss.  And I get gain in
all 5 bands where the closest you can come to that is unity on the WARC bands
similar to a dipole.

I have given up trying to either believe or understand the published gain
figures of commercial antennas because of the variations one could (and many
do) employ to make their particular antenna more marketable.  The easiest way
to understand it is:

The longer the boom, the higher the gain.  All the rest is embroidery.

I would tell you to read the published data and keep a bucket of skepticism
along side while doing so.

We really need a new edition of the Beam and Vertical Antenna Comparisons that
came out some time ago with the latest crop of air cooled dummy loads included
- ;^) -(big grin).

There are Yahoo Groups dedicated to many of the newer antennas and the Reviews
on eHam that bear some examination, albeit with your bucket of which I spoke
earlier.

Clint - W5CPT - Moderator of one of those groups -