Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Choice

To: Mike <nf4l@nf4l.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Choice
From: Ralph Matheny <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 20:43:02 -0400 (EDT)
Well, I'd say that ALL antennas with the limited boomlength have "little
gain" by just about any standard.  Thus other issues come into play:
pattern, mechanical issues, reliability.  In my opinion, the log, if it is
a rugged one, wins every time.  I have an M2 "steplog" stored on my deck,
and can't wait to get it up but many issues to solve first.  I expect it
will be my last antenna.  Built for use on aircraft carriers. Of course it
is larger than the logs being discussed here.

Actually, all the HF antennas most of us are able to install on our lots
have 2-3 db gain at best.  But they sure do help out on receive and give
us a lot of confidence. I'm sure the steppir is excellent, but really
quite complex and made of fiberglass as I understand it.  That will not
last as long as aluminum.  Lightning can tear up any antenna, but I think
the steppir motor and associated control system will be more subject to
damage than plain old aluminum.

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place