Re: [TowerTalk] Wanted! Sixpak Antenna Switch

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wanted! Sixpak Antenna Switch
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@ARRL.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:54:18 -0700
From: "ZS4RY" <zr4rv@xsinet.co.za>
To: "Alfredo Vélez WP3C" <wp3c@usa.com>
Cc: "tower talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:22 AM

> Alfredo, not the the best antenna switch around. Plagued
> by sticky relays
> which does not switch. Mine gave problems within the first
> week and ever
> since.
---------------------------

I never had such a problem with my Six-Pak using a full
regulated 13.8 vdc drive.

When I added some steering diodes into the relay selection
logic to do some specialized switching, the relays would no
longer pull in reliably. I had to change those diodes to
1N5818 Schottky Diodes to reduce the forward voltage drop.
I'm not at home right now, but I think I also changed one
other diode in the six-pak box (reverse voltage protection
diode?). There have been no problems since then. 1N5818's
are available from Mouser for $0.09. They are handy to have
on hand for this type of application.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA