[TowerTalk] buried ground connections - a 13-year data point

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] buried ground connections - a 13-year data point
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:47:28 -0400
I thought this might be of some passing interest.  Today I excavated the
bare copper ground wire that I ran between each tower leg and an 8-foot
copper-plated steel ground rod when my tower was installed in 1995.  The
connection between the wire and the ground rod was made with one of those
"acorn-shaped" ground clamps.  Since then, this connection has been
undisturbed under a couple of inches of moist West Virginia loam.

I was fully prepared to find severe corrosion, or no wire left at
all.  Instead, what I found was completely intact wire, a pristine ground
rod, and an intact connection between the two that was still nice and tight.

What's the point?  I don't know, except that, in some conditions, simple,
quick and cheap may be quite adequate.

73, Pete N4ZR