Re: [TowerTalk] How strong are ceramic insulators?

To: "'Peter Voelpel'" <df3kv@t-online.de>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How strong are ceramic insulators?
From: "Eric - VE3GSI" <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 23:31:18 -0400
Drax,

I have used those ceramic insulators to isolate the backstay on a sailboat
for an antenna. Believe me when I say, there is a heck of a lot more then 1K
lb of pressure on the backstay when running before a storm and I bury half
the boat as we slide of the top of a 15 to 20 foot wave and it slams into
the next wave. I use to worry about the hull tangs letting go, never the
insulator.

For those in the know, I am talking shorter fetch of fresh water waves on
Lake Ontario, not those wimpy long waves found on the ocean. <grin>

Eric - VE3GSI