Re: [TowerTalk] Spark Gap on an insulated tower

To: T Gahagan <tgahagan@imt.net>, Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Spark Gap on an insulated tower
From: Bill MacLane <ai4wm@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 16:40:00 -0700 (PDT)
I haven't seen the original post on this, but if you are speaking of making an
arc gap like commercial a.m. stations use (and some FM) there is more than just
an arc gap.  The gap is part of the over all ground plane system tied to the
radials ( 120 or more ), the base reinforcing rods, the copper strap that
connects the tower bases to the ATUs to the transmitter and associated building
and equipment.  There are several ground rods as well as bonding the coax
shields at both ends and bonding all of the equipment with 1.5" to 2" minimum
width copper strap. (too much for a short post)

I do not use an insulated tower and see no need (for me) unless I plan on
radiating one large enough to be a 1/4 wavelength on the band I wish to operate
or have a Hy-Tower.  Slim chance on either here in FL.

I use home brew gaps made from old electric welder arc suppressors.  They are
like mini arc gaps.  No worry about rain, it is the dust that can build on
them. They are not big enough (neither is a spark plug or commercial arrester)
to prevent a strike or damage, but hopefully will reduce the damage should the
unfortunate ever happen.

73,
Bill
AI4WM