[TowerTalk] TIC RINGS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] TIC RINGS
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 05:37:53 -0700 (PDT)
Tim, I am going to play the devils advocate here...

How many of those TIC Rings do you maintain yourself?  I assume it is your
volunteers who mainly climb the towers and do repairs when things fail (nothing
wrong with having help).. It is easy to have a favorable opinion when things
are always working when the boss comes around...  You are less likely to feel
favorably disposed when that rotor has failed (again) and you are the one
climbing the tower in 20 degrees and blowing sleet to change out the drive
motor and hope to hell you can repair the ripped off balun without having to
make a second climb...

The thing that bothers me is not that position control has been found to be a
problem with the rings - you never know until you put a product into service...
The problem I have is that after more than a decade there has not been a
redesign of the positioning system to make it 100% reliable...

denny / k8do

http://mail.yahoo.com