Re: [TowerTalk] GENPOLE PULLEY

To: AD5VJ Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GENPOLE PULLEY
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 23:36:37 -0400
AD5VJ Bob wrote:
> Anyone try one of these yet?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290269531547It

"To me" it appears a bit on the light side as far as the pulley goes.
> I just tried making a home made gen pole today and it wont even raise my 35
> lb three element tribander off of the ground so I am
> thinking of buying one of these and starting over.
>
> What size are gen-pole pulleys anyway? Mine was 1/2".
>  Looked like it would work great, but flopped.

Pulleys come in sizes (2") and rating (100# or 500# or what ever).  The
ones you find in most hardware stores and big box stores are good for
maybe 40# to 60# unless otherwise noted. Good pulleys are not cheap.
Even the hardware store pulleys rated at more than those pot metal ones
are on the order of $40 - $50(give or take a bit)

I've used make shift, temporary poles  within the ratings of the parts
that were nothing more than steel TV masting, a forged eye-bolt, and a
100# rated pulley. However I knew what I had and it's limitations.
NOTE: be careful with eye-bolts. The regular non forged, non welded are
soft and can easily open up, dropping what ever they were holding...like
a pulley.

Never put a side load on a ginpole. Put a second pulley at or near the
base of the tower so the helper can pull the rope out away from the
tower. It makes it easier to pull, but primarily it keeps the help out
from under the work area where things might fall.
If you've never worked with this kind of stuff, or climbing, find "at
the least" some local hams who are familiar with the equipment, it's
use, hazards, and good safety practices.

73

Roger (K8RI)