Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol PL259

To: "Roger \(K8RI\)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol PL259
From: Bill MacLane <ai4wm@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:11:28 -0700 (PDT)
Interesting how a simple PL-259 can generate so much I need to add my 2 cents
worth.
I prefer the Amphenol connectors rather than others since they fit both RG-213,
RG-8 and Belden 9914.  I have used plenty of the others including crimp.  I had
a big distrust of crimp on RF connectors until I went to work for the largest
connector mfg. in the world where we were required to use their product - crimp
connectors.  They work fine, but ....  Anyway If it is solder the silver are
much easier to solder and I prefer silver whether solder or crimp.  After a
near disaster with changing dozens of PL-259s on Field Day one year (good
preparation) I also switched to the solder center pin and crimp shield.  (also
for other RF connectors)  As far as the insulator, stay away from all but the
mil-spec or teflon for good reliability.  Quick, Reliable and much easier than
any solder on connector.  I do not get compensation from or work for but do
recommend RF Connection for the best prices, selection and support.

73,
Bill
AI4WM