Re: [TowerTalk] Bury-Flex

To: k5xa@godfather-ridge.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bury-Flex
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 03:53:20 -0400
John K5XA wrote:
> Howdy from Kerrville, Texas.
>
> I'm about ready to order coax. I'm putting my station back together, and
> have been using a combination of Andrews Heliax and LMR-400 Ultra-Flex.

I gave up on the Ultra flex (UF) after seen what it looked like after
just 6 years out in the weather here in Central Michigan.  The jacket on
every pigtail was split leaving the braid/shield open to the elements.
OTOH I use and have used a lot of LMR-400 and 600.
> I'm happy with the LMR-400, but the 1000 foot spool I've been using was one
> I bought several years ago in a group purchase, for considerably less than
> today's prices. So I'm considering Davis Bury-Flex as an alternative to
> another order of LMR-400.

I typically purchase most coax 1000 ft at a time if starting a project.
I only purchased 250 ft of Bury-flex to use for pigtails as I don't see
a big need coming up for a lot of the smaller coax.  LMR-400 is
available for slightly less than Bury-flex at a few places, but we're
only talking a couple of cents and I don't remember how many feet you'd
need for the price, plus it's approaching 4:00 AM so I don't have the
ambition to look it up either.

Bury-flex has a very tough jacket and is quite flexible although not
quite as flexible as the LMR-400UF cables.
A couple weeks ago I  cut up and put connectors on 250 feet to make up a
bunch of cables for "go kits". Now I have the pigtails for my beams and
feed lines from the remote switches to sloping dipoles.

> Do any of you have any experience with the Bury-Flex - pro or con?

I like it...So far no complaints.

73

Roger (K8RI)