Re: [TowerTalk] lossy traps, long

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lossy traps, long
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:12:10 -0400
Tony Brock-Fisher, K1KP, wrote:

I used a Fluke 80T-150U temperature probe, connected to a Fluke handheld
DVM to measure temperature. All measurements are in degrees Fahrenheit.
During the experiments, I measured temperature at three locations -
the strap connected to the 10 meter capacitor on the front driven
element; the boom, just behind the front driven element; and the PL-259
connecting the feedline to the supplied KLM balun.
<snip>

Tom, W3FRG questioned:

It would be most interesting to have access to this measurement
detail to
see how the ambient temperatures were handled during the measurement
sequence. With the antenna only 30" off the blacktop driveway, and
the sun
at mid day (?), I'd expect some corrections to be in order ?? Or was the
antenna shaded from direct sun ??
<snip>

N2EA appended:

The measurement period was 5 minutes.  The DUT (trap) was insulated
from airflow by
foam.   Measurements were taken at 5:30, on a low wind day.   The
probable shift of
ambient during the measurement period would be small.    Strikes me
as an insignificant
impact.

Nice work, once again, Tony!

-0-

N2EA
Jim Jarvis, MBA
President - Executive Coach
The Morse Group, LLC

People-Process-Strategy:  Achieving Results in a Changing World
www.themorsegroup.net
Read our latest newsletter.  Go to:  http://www.themorsegroup.net/
Newsletters.shtml