[TowerTalk] Steppir antennas

To: alwilliams@olywa.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Steppir antennas
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:24:47 EST
The SteppIR antennas are great performers when working.  I sincerely hope
that SteppIR will use a "beefed up tape, better fitting element tubing,
stronger
ehu's, and protection for the drive circuit" as you predict.  As-is, there are
too many failures of motors jamming, elements breaking, boots failing, and
blown controllers.

Some on TT have estimated the SteppIR failure rate at about 2% during the
first year.  But from I've seen, the failure rate is much higher than 2%.  Mine
had a defective controller when new and a motor fail at 6 months.  Three people
I know (and who did not post a review on eHam Product Reviews) had SteppIR
failures within the first 2 years.

I am not trying to make anyone upset with this post... but that is what I
have observed.  I wish SteppIR all the best and plan to continue to use some of
their products ... but I'd like to see improvements to make them more reliable.

Best 73,
Dick- K9OM

In a message dated 11/4/2008 3:37:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
alwilliams@olywa.net writes:

> 2.   I expect that we will see a beefed up tape, better fitting element
> tubing,
>    stronger ehu's, and protection for the drive circuit which will reduce
>    failures.  And in addition will allow a 2 element 80 Steppir to also
> be
>    reliable.

Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel.  Check out Today's Hot
5 Travel Deals!