Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter

To: "Roger \(K8RI\)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, "Steve Maki" <StevesLists1@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter
From: "Bill" <w7vp@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:09:39 -0800
Hi Roger
Let me summarize the loads on the tower.  Remember that in the equilibrium
condition the sum of the forces and the sum of the moments have to equal
zero.
1.  Compressive load from the weight of the tower itself plus the structures
attached to the tower.  These create compressive stresses in the legs of the
tower and are applied at the point where the thrust bearing transfers the
load to the tower.
2.  Compressive load induced by the guys.  These add to the compressive
stresses in the tower legs.  They are applied at each location where the
guys are attached to the tower.
3. The twisting moment due to uneven wind loading of the antenna system or
due to rotational inertia in starting and stopping the rotation applied at
the base attachment point of the rotator to the tower.  These loads are
partially transferred to the guys through torsion brackets but the actual
moment is also transferred partly to the tower since there must be some
tensional deflection of the tower for the guys to pick up some of the load.
These create shear stresses in the legs of the tower.
4. The bending moment from wind on the antennas and mast.  These create
bending stresses in the tower legs that depend on the section modulus of the
tower and the worst case is usually the compressive part of the bending
stresses since they add to the tower compressive stresses.  These may be
reduced to some extent by the proper location of the upper guys though I
doubt the reduction is very much in most cases.  This moment is applied to
the tower where the radial bearing point is located.
5.  The bending moment of the wind acting on the tower itself.  Again this
creates a tensile and a compressive stress with the latter probably being
more significant.
6.  The bending moment  from the column loading induced by (a) the weight of
the tower and everything attached to it,  (b) the bending moment of the wind
on the mast and antenna, and (c) the bending moment of the wind on the tower
itself.  This load is non-linear since it results from the deflection
profile of the tower and creates a moment based on the other loadings being
applied at a deviation from the centerline of the column when the deflection
occurs.  It is significantly affected by the relationship between the
section modulus and the length of each section of the column, taking into
account the distance between guys, and can significantly increase the
stresses.

All the stresses must be combined together in a way that determines the
magnitude of the principle stress to assure that the principle stress does
not exceed the yield strength of the tower material.

How these are affected by wind loading, rotation and placement of the guys
is the trick and are probably not much of a challenge to a qualified
structural engineer using computerized structural analysis methods these
days.

One thing I have done with my own tower is to build a triangular bracket
which is attached at the base plate of the rotator.  The bracket is attached
to the tower legs so that each leg of the bracket is attached to two legs of
the tower.  This give a longer moment arm for the guys to pick up the
rotational moments of the antenna system.  Even better would be to create a
"Y" in the guys near the top so that the moment from the rotator is picked
up at an angle on the base thus increasing the effectiveness of the guys in
resisting rotational moments.

73
Bill
W7VP