Re: [TowerTalk] wire antenna question

To: Drax Felton <draxfelton@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wire antenna question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:55:47 -0500
> >From what I've read in materials from the ARRL is that anything under a
> 2.0:1 SWR is great.
>
> However, anything under a 5.0:1 SWR is negligible loss at HF frequencies.
> Fighting it lower is a pursuit of diminishing returns.

OTOH with a solid state rig it's a good idea to get it below 2:1.
My 756 Pro will operate pretty much the entire 40 meter band with the
internal tuner. However the solid state amp (Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5Kfx)
shows a substantial power drop with 1.2:1 compared to 1:1.  At 1:1 it
runs 1 KW out. At 1.2:1 it is down to a bit above 800 watts. At 1.3:1
the reflected power will start tripping the protective circuitry.
So where I don't need an external tuner on 40 barefoot I do with the
amp.  With the internal tuner in the 756 ro off, I can still cover most
of the 40 meter band but the power drops off. On 75 I can cover about
100 KHz centered on the lowest SWR. which is about 1.2:1 at 3.75
> Feed your antennas with ladder line and a tuner or put the balun as close to
> the antenna as possible to reduce transmission line losses.

Good, low loss coax will work fine on antennas like these across the
entire 74 and 40 meter bands.
The problem arises from solid state rigs and no matching.  On those the
power will usually be reduced due to the mismatch and fold back from the
SWR or reflected power.

> Resonance is overrated. You want your radio to run full power into what it
> sees as an SWR under 2.0:1.

Simple wire antennas do not really care if they are resonant or not.
They will radiate all the power that gets to them.

73

Roger (K8RI)