[TowerTalk] AB-621 Crank-Up Mast Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] AB-621 Crank-Up Mast Question
From: "Ed G" <ed.goss@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:37:50 -0500
Hello,
     I notice on my AB-621 that as you crank up the mast, the full weight of
the mast sections, rotator, and antenna is taken up by the winch cable,
which loops around a pulley and comes down to attach to a trolley (where the
platform that lifts each mast section is).  The cable which supports all the
weight has a threaded compression fitting, and one nut holds the whole thing
together.  If this one nut would fail (strip out) while you are cranking up
the mast/antenna, it seems like the whole configuration would come crashing
down inside of the launcher base, at least for 6 feet until the mast hit
bottom.
     My question is this - does anyone know what kind of margin of safety
you have with the AB-621 design for this one very important nut? I'm
wondering since the mast originally was not designed to crank up 100 pound
antennas.
--Ed, N3CW--