[TowerTalk] LM-470 variations

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k6zz@ccis.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] LM-470 variations
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:34:17 EST
I have had over the years three different LM-470 towers, and there were  some
significant changes.  The most notable was the change from a single  heavy
lift cable in the 1960's versions to double strung lift cable in later  models.
(circa 1970).  These variations are easily recognizable in the fact  that the
lift cable had a moveable block pulley as part of the assembly.   All had
positive pull down, and common drum mechanism.  The later models  using the
double
lift cables on each section are superior in that the load is  more balanced
and less chance of binding.  There were also changes in the  fabrication of
tower end guides which appeared to be cost reductions as welded  components
were
eliminated.  My experience was the later versions resulted  in more slop in
the fit and allowed more tower sway then the fitted and welded  guides.  There
may have been more changes, but the above I think were the  most significant -
note cable sizes changed as well, and the double lift system  used all the
same size cable diameter.

My tower now is a US HD-589, and I think much better built and  rigged.  The
level winding mechanism and the limit relays mounted at ground  level is a
very nice feature.

Regards,
Norm W4QN

Message: 3