Re: [TowerTalk] Crank down towers when away

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank down towers when away
From: "Jon Casamajor" <k6el@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 02:02:21 -0000
I have a HDX572 that has been up for 20 years and it has always had a pretty
good stack on it.  I never worry about cranking it down but I do make sure
that the antenna stack is parked in the proper direction. My area is a high
wind area but the winds come from basically two directions, NW and SE when
associated with fronts at least.

In the Mid-west it's a different situation at least in the T-storm season
where wind can come from any direction. We get darn little lightening
here.of course this summer we had 1,300 some odd lightening caused fires,
but that is not the usual. I have lived in the mid-west and the lightening
is scary and happens a lot so I would certainly disconnect/ground
everything!

Having a large tower and not overloading it sure lets you sleep on those
windy winter nights!

Regards,

Jon K6EL

k6el@comcast.net